What is Sidney Dollars for Scholars?
In 1984, Sidney made a commitment to the future of our youth by establishing the Dollars for Scholars Program. The organization’s purpose is to provide financial assistance to Sidney High School graduates in their pursuit of higher education.
The rising costs of education are closing doors to higher learning for many students in our area. Through Sidney Dollars for Scholars, we have an opportunity to invest in the future of our youth and to stress the importance of an education beyond high school. The program is operated by local volunteers who share these concerns and goals.
How are funds raised?
Primary funds are raised through the annual Phone-A-Thon held in March. Additional special activities may be sponsored by the community based Board of Directors. The Foundation also manages trusts, memorials, endowments and grants.
Who may sponsor a scholarship?
An individual, group, organization or business may sponsor a scholarship for a minimum of $100.
How are scholarships awarded?
Scholarship recipients are determined by criteria established by the donor and the Sidney Dollars for Scholars Board of Directors or by an application process.
Who may apply?
Any sincere and determined student should have the opportunity to continue his or her education after graduation. Sidney High School seniors, living within the Sidney Chapter boundaries, are eligible to apply. Awards are granted to students enrolled in vocational or technical schools as well as to students enrolled in two- or four-year colleges.
In October 2013, Sidney Dollars for Scholars launched their online website as part of Scholarship America. Seniors may now apply online for many local scholarships that are affiliated with Dollars for Scholars. Visit our chapter website at www.sidneyny.dollarsforscholars.org to start your profile so you can qualify for local and national scholarships.
If you are interested in making a donation to a scholarship please send a check, made payable to:
Sidney Dollars for Scholars
42 Union Street
Sidney, NY 13838
Should you wish to make a donation to a particular scholarship funded through Sidney Dollars for Scholars, please make note of the scholarship in the memo line of the check, otherwise, the monies will be deposited in the Sidney Dollars for Scholars General Fund. All of the funds raised through Sidney Dollars for Scholars are tax deductible and remain in the community for distribution.
We are pleased to report, that in 2019, Sidney Dollars for Scholars awarded scholarships totaling $65,400, at Sidney High School’s graduation ceremony.
For further information, please contact Tracy Young, 42 Union Street, Sidney, NY 13838 or Jody Gravelin, Sidney High School Guidance, at (607) 561-7703.
START TODAY BY BUILDING YOUR PROFILE!
7 STEPS TO APPLY FOR DOLLARS FOR SCHOLARS SCHOLARSHIPS:
1. SENIORS MUST create a profile on the Scholarship America ChapterNet system to apply for scholarships through Sidney Dollars for Scholars. Access the ChapterNet system by going to www.scholarshipamerica.org or www.SidneyNY.dollarsforscholars.org and click on the “student” tab.
2. SENIORS MUST request/obtain PARENTAL CONSENT IF UNDER THE AGE OF 18. Using the ChapterNet System students will request consent via email/online PARENTS-WITHOUT CONSENT YOUR SENIOR UNDER THE AGE OF 18 WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS. (if your parents do not have an email utilize the grey support tab on the left in the “parent section” to request instruction on alternate forms of obtaining consent).
3. SENIORS MUST complete ALL required sections of the profile. Required section are designated with (**).
4. SENIORS MUST check their student dashboard repeatedly for important messages regarding their profile.
5. SENIORS MUST request a reference for your profile via email/online. ( if your references do not have an email utilize the grey support tab on the left in the “reference section” to request instruction on alternate forms of obtaining consent).
6. SENIORS MUST SEARCH FOR SCHOLARSHIPS under the “my scholarships” tab to match to our local scholarships. You have the ability to match to both local AND national scholarships-so “SEARCH OFTEN!”
7. SENIORS MUST APPLY between January 1, 2020 and February 26, 2016 for local Dollars for Scholars scholarships.
NOTE: Seniors may apply for scholarships if their profile is not 100% complete however missing information may cause missed opportunities to match to local and national scholarships.